UA Ruhr News Center
18. 10. 2022
#RFP2023 Ruhr Fellowship Program: Call for Applications
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 NOVEMBER 2022
PUT GERMANY ON YOUR RESUME NEXT SUMMER!
Gain access to top universities and top international companies in Germany as a “Ruhr Fellow.”
The Ruhr Fellowship Program provides highly motivated undergraduate students in the United States with a unique experience to expand their portfolio and networks to one of the most dynamic and technologically advanced areas in Germany. As Germany’s “Cradle of Industry”, the Ruhr area has come to represent creativity and innovation with its internationally renowned companies, universities, and research institutes.
Pending final budgetary approval, we are looking for top students interested in a hands-on experience next summer as one of up to 10 Ruhr Fellows. From June 5, 2023 until July 28, 2023, you will participate in a two week intercultural immersion program at the university level followed by a six-week internship with one of Germany’s leading companies located in the Ruhr area.
You are currently enrolled in your Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year in an engineering, science, or business degree program at one of the participating universities:
- Harvard University
- Lehigh University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Princeton University
- Purdue University
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Pennsylvania
- Yale University
You enjoy challenges and problem solving, and you can easily adapt in an intercultural environment.
You are interested in learning through working in the fields of engineering, science, or business.
You are interested in getting to know the Ruhr area culture as well as expanding your personal global network and consider working in a global environment.
German language skills are not necessary; however, previous experience in Germany or with the German language can be advantageous.
We are unable to accept applications from students with a German passport.
YOUR RUHRFELLOWSHIP INCLUDES:
- Partial Stipend (up to approximately €600)
- Two week culture seminar program at the host universities (including excursions)
- Pairing with a Ruhr area company for a six-week internship
- Access to top executives in exclusive networking events and company visits
- Fee waivers for registration as a student at the participating universities
- Housing fees in a dormitory room
- The “NRW-Ticket” for public transportation
- Health insurance
- Leisure and cultural activities as organized by the host universities
- Access to the universities’ US alumni program and international network
- Pairing with a German student (Buddy Progra
You will need to bring money for food and traveling/leisure expenses during your stay.
RUHR FELLOWSHIP ORGANIZERS
The Ruhr Fellowship Program is organized by the University Alliance Ruhr.
The University Alliance Ruhr is an alliance of three universities – TU Dortmund University, Ruhr University Bochum and the University of Duisburg-Essen – all located within 20 minutes of one another, along the Ruhr River. This is Germany’s largest academic hub and home to 4 Fraunhofer Institutes, 3 Max-Planck Institutes and 14 Collaborative Research Centers selected for funding through the highly competitive DFG (German Research Society) process. The alliance of the three universities brings together over 120,000 students and over 14,000 researchers and professors to create a unique interdisciplinary approach and cutting-edge research opportunities.
THE RUHR AREA
The Ruhr area is a dynamic and exciting place to be. With over 5 million people, it is one of Europe’s most important metropolitan areas and featured the European Capital of Culture in 2010. At the same time, half of the space is green – a landscape of forests, parks, fields, and beer gardens. Whereas the traditional coal and steel mills have been transformed into creative spaces and cultural hotspots, the area has retained its soccer culture as well as tradition. When you come to the Ruhr area, you will recognize immediately that you are not in a typical study abroad location. It is an untrodden territory you can discover for yourself, making new contacts in a remarkably welcoming and unique environment.
With your German student ID you will receive discounts at the campus cafeterias and for many cultural events. This is also literally your ticket to the entire state: Your ID gives you free access to the subways, buses, and regional trains in the entire state of North Rhine-Westphalia, the most densely populated area in Germany, stretching from Munster in the North through the Ruhr area to Dusseldorf, Cologne, Bonn, and Aachen in the South. Fellows will have plenty of opportunities to get to know this diverse area on a budget.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following documents via e-mail and as one PDF document to the New York office of the University Alliance (please see the address below):
- Application Form (pdf file downloads above)
- Statement of purpose in which you explain your academic development, your practical experience, and your motivation to participate in the program (max. 2 pages)
- Transcript of records (an electronic printout is sufficient)
- One confidential letter of recommendation from a professor or lecturer/researcher (may be sent directly from the lecturer/researcher to email@example.com)
Please send your application documents as one PDF attachment via email to the UA Ruhr Liaison Office in New York:
Priya S. Nayar
UA Ruhr Liaison Office New York
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Phone: +1 (212) 758-3384